These swizzle sticks with the Playboy logo were made for the Playboy Club in Chicago, Ill.
Hugh Hefner opened the first Playboy Club in Chicago at 116 East Walton on February 29, 1960; the club closed in 1986. Swizzle sticks like these were purchased from the souvenir shop or were given to patrons in their drinks at the Chicago Club. The Club also sold "party packs" with swizzle sticks and other items for people to host Playboy parties at home. Playboy, a magazine aimed at the single American male, first appeared in December of 1953. Written and conceived by Hugh Hefner in his Hyde Park apartment, the magazine featured a combination of articles on music, lewd jokes, short fiction, and perhaps most striking, a nude photo of Marilyn Monroe. By the early 1970s, Hugh Hefner had moved most of Playboy's corporate activities to southern California, while production of Playboy magazine remained in Chicago.