This brass cross was found by the donor on the site of the former Mission of the Guardian Angel, which was located about fifty feet south of contemporary Foster Avenue and 300 feet east of the Skokie Outlet, a drainage sewer into the Chicago River. The area is now the Drainage Canal, Section 12 of Jefferson Township, at W. Foster and N. Francisco Avenues on Chicago's northwest side, opposite the north branch of the river.
In 1696, Jesuit priest Father Pierre Pinet established the Mission of the Guardian Angel at Chicago. At the outpost, Father Pinet and his followers worked to convert Native Americans to Christianity. Religious items, such as this small cross, symbolized the Christian faith and were easily portable for personal worship. Although the mission's exact location is unknown, it served a Miami tribal village for three years before shuttering in 1699.