SITE_KEY_skipToMainContentText



Descriptive inventory for the Association House of Chicago records, 1899-1972

Association House of Chicago records

1 of 2
Open Finding Aid

Descriptive inventory for the Association House of Chicago records, 1899-1972

Prepared by Carroll Mickey, January 1983; revised by Jennifer Asimakopoulos, August 2005.
  
Please address questions to:
Chicago History Museum, Research Center
1601 North Clark Street
Chicago, IL 60614-6038
Web-site: http://libguides.chicagohistory.org/research
Catalog: http://chsmedia.org
E-mail: research@chicagohistory.org
Instructions for accessing this collection
  

Collection Overview +/-

Title: Association House of Chicago records, 1899-1974 (inclusive)
Creator: Association House of Chicago
Dates: 1899-1974 (inclusive)
Accession number: 1972.0082, 1977.0020
Bib number: 00064602
Call numbers: MSS Lot A
MSS Oversize A
Size: 11.25 linear feet (27 boxes, 1 oversize folder)
Language of material:Collection is written in English.

Provenance statement:

Gift of Association House (accession #: 1972.0082, 1977.0020).

Terms governing use:

Copyright may be retained by the creators of items, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law, unless otherwise noted.

Restriction(s):

Box 27 is closed to researchers.

Please cite this collection as:

Association House of Chicago records (Chicago History Museum) plus a detailed description, date, and box/folder number of a specific item.

Additional Materials +/-

Separated material:

Photographic records of the Association House were separated to form the Association House of Chicago photograph collection (1980.0171).

Collection Summary +/-

Correspondence, minutes, financial records, staff handbooks, workshop materials, program reports, staff evaluations, newsletters, scrapbooks of newsclippings, and other materials created by staff, board members, community groups, and support groups affiliated with Association House, a Presbyterian-sponsored settlement house based in the West Town neighborhood of Chicago, concerning its administration, fund-raising, training of social workers and religious service workers, welfare services, day care, youth camps, neighborhood demographics and needs, and social, recreational, and educational programs for adult and youth groups. Principal correspondents include head residents of the settlement house, Carrie B. Wilson, Philip M. Irey, Mr. and Mrs. Edwin Eells, Alfred E. Rath; long-time officer, Ellen Holt; the Chicago Federation of Settlements and Neighborhood Centers; Presbyterian organizations, particularly the Presbytery of Chicago and McCormick Theological Seminary; and Association House support groups, especially the North Shore Board of Association House, the Ladies' Auxiliary, and the Association House Service Guild of Evanston.

Biographical/Historical Note +/-

The Association House of Chicago originated in 1899 as a recreational and educational program for youth in the West Town area of Chicago. Under the auspices of the Young Women's Christian Association, the group rented a building to house resident staff and provide space for classrooms and recreational activities. In 1901 the organization was incorporated as the Association House of Chicago with the mission of providing religious and industrial instruction and engaging in the work typically carried out by social and religious settlements. A new structure was built in 1905-1906 at 2150 W. North Avenue. In 1926, Association House gave up its independent status and officially transferred its property to the Presbyterian Church Extension Board. Over time, Association House adapted its services to changes in the economy and the population in the area by providing emergency relief, English and citizenship classes, counseling and day care services, summer camps, and space for clubs and neighborhood groups. Providing educational experiences for potential professional social workers became one of the major objectives of program planning, and the work of the professional staff was supplemented by the efforts of social work students and volunteers. In the 1960s, Association House entered into cooperative relationships with neighborhood conservation and planning councils. Programs and activities were increasingly oriented around the needs and interests of Spanish-speaking people, especially Puerto Ricans, who came to be the largest component in the area served. As of 2016, Association House was still operating in the Humboldt Park neighborhood of Chicago.

Catalog Subject Headings +/-

Subjects:
Americanization
Charities--Illinois--Chicago--20th century
Child care services--Illinois--Chicago--20th century
Church camps--Middle West--20th century
Church work with youth--Illinois--Chicago--20th century
Community centers--Illinois--Chicago--20th century
Day care centers--Illinois--Chicago--20th century
Education--Illinois--Chicago--20th century
Ethnicity--Illinois--Chicago--20th century
Fund raising--Illinois--Chicago Metropolitan Area--20th century
Hispanic Americans--Illinois--Chicago--20th century
Human services--Illinois--Chicago--20th century
Immigrants--Illinois--Chicago--20th century
Latin Americans--United States
Presbyterian Church--Charities--Illinois--Chicago--20th century
Puerto Ricans--United States--20th century
Recreation--Illinois--Chicago--20th century
Social settlements--Illinois--Chicago--20th century
Social workers--Illinois--Chicago--20th century
Social workers--In-service training--Illinois--Chicago--20th century
Women volunteers in social service--Illinois--Chicago Metropolitan Area--20th century
Youth--Services for--Illinois--Chicago--20th century
Persons:
Eells, Edwin
Holt, Ellen
Irey, Philip M.
Rath, Alfred E.
Wilson, Carrie B.
Organizations:
Association House of Chicago--Archives
Chicago Federation of Settlements and Neighborhood Centers
McCormick Theological Seminary
United Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A--Presbytery of Chicago--Presbyterian Church Extension Board
Genre/Form:
Clippings
Correspondence
Financial records
Manuals
Minutes
Newsletters
Reports
Scrapbooks
Statistics
Geographic:
2150 West North Avenue (Chicago, Ill.)
Chicago (Ill.)--Social conditions--20th century
Humboldt Park (Chicago, Ill.)
Logan Square (Chicago, Ill.)
West Town (Chicago, Ill.)

Organization and Arrangement of Collection +/-

The collection is arranged by subject in in eight series and nine subseries.

Click on heading to view series description.

Series 1. Historical file, 1899-1962 (Box 1, 22-26)
Series 2. Board of Directors’ materials, 1910-1971 (Box 2-6)
Subseries l. Board records, 1910-1970
Subseries 2. Board-related group materials, 1927-1971
Series 3. Financial records, 1930-1971 (Box 7-10)
Subseries 1. Budget and service reports, 1937-1967
Subseries 2. Fund-raising, grants, and bequests, 1930-1971
Series 4. Staff papers, 1939-1972 (Box 11-14, 27)
Subseries 1. General correspondence, 1950-1971
Subseries 2. Staff minutes, manuals, and newsletters, 1939-1972
Subseries 3. Social work field education program papers, 1946-1967
Series 5. Groups and programs, 1939-1974 (Box 15-18)
Subseries 1. Groups and services, 1939-1974
Subseries 2. Resident summer camps, 1950-1969
Series 6. Related organizations, 1946-1966 (Box 19)
Series 7. Special studies, 1922-1969 (Box 20)
Series 8. Public information and newsletters, 1900-1972 (Box 20-21, OS folder 1)

About This Finding Aid +/-

Creation: Finding aid encoded by Maureen Callahan using Oxygen XML editor, 2016.
Language: Finding aid is written in English.
Other Finding Aids: Finding aid also submitted to the Explore Chicago Collections portal.
you wish to report:


...
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK