Worn by donor, Mrs. Charles F. Batchelder, née Martha Lee. Bought for the donor by her mother and sister from their trip to Europe in 1923.
Liberty & Co. opened its doors in 1875 to sell household items, fabrics, and art objects from Japan and the Far East. Through their fabric supply, the store began selling items of dress often associated with the dress reform movement of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Liberty is still known for its attention to cutting-edge fashion.