This copper bowl was made by Olga Huncke in the metal shop at Hull-House, where she was a social worker in the 1910s. The bowl was donated to the Chicago Historical Society in Huncke's memory.
This bowl, made by Olga Huncke, a social worker at the house, around 1915, represents the work done by individuals associated with the Chicago settlement house Hull-House. Established in 1889 by Jane Addams and Ellen Gates Starr, Hull-House, like other settlement houses provided social and educational services for the surrounding working class poor communities. Hull-House was located in the Near West Side, an area populated by new European immigrants, many of whom did not speak English. In addition to providing services and advocating on their behalf Addams and her staff believed art was instrumental to lifting people out of poverty. The Chicago Arts and Crafts Society was founded in 1897 at Hull-House and offered a range of classes to children and adults, including metalworking and pottery classes.