HAND BEATEN/AT/KALO SHOPS/STERLING/PARK RIDGE/ILLS
The Kalo Shop was founded in 1900 by Clara Barck Welles as part of Chicago's flourishing Arts and Crafts Movement. Born in England, the Arts and Crafts Movement sought to revive traditional arts and creating objects that were both beautiful and functional, exemplified in the Kalo Shop's motto "Beautiful, Useful, and Endearing." The shop was not just a business, but a center of an artistic community. At its height, the Kalo Shop employed 25 silversmiths. When Welles retired, she gave the shop to four employees who maintained its operation until 1970. These sugar tongs demonstrate the prized quality and design of the Kalo Shop's handmade wares.