This bowl by artist Jano Walley was a project for the Works Progress Administration.
This bowl was designed by Jano Walley while she was a student at the Illinois Institute of Technology's Institute of Design, for the Works Progress Administration, a New Deal agency that employed out-of-work artists from 1935 to 1943. Also known as the New Bauhaus, the Institute of Design was established in 1937 by Laszlo Moholy-Nagy. After the Nazis closed the original Bauhaus school of design in 1933, the Chicago Association of Arts and Industries invited Moholy-Nagy to organize a similar school in Chicago to train students in the Bauhaus philosophy of "total design" emphasizing the equality of all creative design with the "master art" of architecture. Renamed the School of Design in 1939, and later the Institute of Design, the school encouraged its students to experiment with different materials, methods, and colors to create simple forms that could be inexpensively mass-produced.