Two-piece tea strainer made of silver. One piece is a perforated round bowl and two T shaped handles with a raised monogrammed S on one; it rests on a deep round bowl with four small curved feet and monogrammed S on the front.
This tea strainer set was made in the Kalo Shop in Park Ridge in 1908, and was purchased from the Prairie Avenue Bookstore along with a silver tray and ladle also bearing the “S” monogram. Funds for the purchase of this piece were donated by the children of Theodore Tieken in his honor.
The Kalo Shop was founded in 1900 by Clara Barck Welles as part of Chicago’s flourishing Arts and Crafts Movement. Born in England, the Arts and Crafts Movement focused on reviving traditional arts and creating objects that were both beautiful and functional, exemplified in the Kalo Shop’s motto “Beautiful, Useful, and Endearing.” The shop was not just a business, but a center of an artistic community. This two piece tea strainer demonstrates the elegant aesthetic for which the Kalo Shop is known.