This lamp was made by the Mosaic Shade Company. Inc.
This stained-glass lamp represents the art glass industry that became popular during the period of reconstruction following the Great Chicago Fire of 1871. Seizing an opportunity to experiment with architecture and interior design, the Chicago stained glass industry expanded the role of glass fixtures in homes, churches, and businesses. As simultaneous technological advances allowed for cheap and easy production of colored glass, a post-Fire school of architectural thought, the Prairie School, adopted the use of art glass in its work. For Prairie School architects like Frank Lloyd Wright, lamps like this were "objets d'art" that allowed artisans to be creative and take pride in their work.