Set of twenty square blocks of wood, with painted letters and pictures on sides in blue, red, orange, and green. Contained in box bearing image of two young boys playing, one kneeling behind fort made of blocks with toy cannon, the other at the doorframe with toy ax and feathered headdress. Text on top of box reads Safety Blocks. Logo at bottom right corner reads Halsam in red diamond.
This set of alphabet blocks was produced by Halsam Products Company around 1926.
Halsam Products Company was one of the many Chicago toy manufacturers that flourished throughout the twentieth century, inventing and producing a wide range of innovative and educational toys. The Halsam Products Company was founded in 1917 by brothers-in-law Sam Goss and Harold Elliot and specialized in blocks and other building toys. The company was the first to use a mechanized process to shape and emboss wooden blocks like these, cutting down production times. In 1962, Halsam was acquired by Playskool.