Wooden chair with tall back and curved arms made of maple. The back is s a narrow step pyramid shape and extends to floor. Wooden frame is painted black with yellow edging; seat and back are covered in red leather.
This chair was designed in 1927 by Abel Faidy as part of a fourteen-piece living/dining room set made for the penthouse apartment of Charles E. and Ruth Singletary at 1244 North Stone Street. Singletary was president of the Western Distributing Company. Mrs. Singletary was a musician and the teacher of Ed Mack.
The ziggurat style of the chair back was intended to echo set-back skyscrapers popular during the 1920s to allow more sunlight to the street below.
This chair is representative of the Art Deco, or Art Moderne design movement and its popularity in Chicago in the 1920s and 1930s. Art Deco architecture and decoration embraced machine made forms and bright, vivid colors, as demonstrated by this chair. Abel Faidy, the chair's designer, had worked as a commercial interior designer but in 1926 turned to freelance design. Made in the shops of Marshall Field & Company, the Faidy suite of skyscraper-inspired furniture is a marvel of modern style, practicality, and superb craftsmanship.