Ashtray made by Jano Walley while she was a student at the Institute of Design, Chicago.
This ashtray was made by Jano Walley while she was a student at the Illinois Institute of Technology's Institute of Design. Also known as the New Bauhaus, the Institute of Design was established in 1937 by Laszlo Moholy-Nagy. After the Nazis closed the original Bauhaus school in 1933, the Chicago Association of Arts and Industries invited Moholy-Nagy to organize a similar school in Chicago that trained students in the Bauhaus philosophy of "total design" emphasizing the equality of all creative design with art and architecture. Renamed the School of Design in 1939, and later the Institute of Design, the school encouraged its students to experiment with different materials, methods, and colors to create simple forms that could be inexpensively mass-produced. After finishing her studies, Walley became an artist and taught jewelry and ceramics at various Midwest art institutions including Black Mountain College and the University of Illinois at Navy Pier. Walley and her husband, John Walley were major figures in the Chicago arts scene of the 1940s and 1950s. The couple often held arts-related events at their studio and apartment.