Red ribbon with gold tassels at bottom, reads "DELEGATION/TO THE/INTERNATIONAL/FAT STOCK EXPOSITION/CHICAGO/DECEMBER 1-8, 1906" in gold letters; white with gold edge badge at top reads "PITTSBURGH" in blue letters and has metal pin/latch on back; short U.S. flag ribbon; small medal with image of steer on front and bell on back.
This badge was presented to cowboys, traders, farmers, ranchers, buyers, and bankers as a symbol of comradeship in the livestock association.
With a motto of "Success comes to those who hustle wisely" the Chicago Live Stock Exchange was founded in 1884. Farmers and ranchers were given badges and ribbons to associate themselves with the exchange. Its members elected William H. Thompson Jr. its first vice president and later its president from 1888 until 1902. Thompson's presidency garnered him the great esteem of his colleagues and he additionally served as the first president of the National Live Stock Exchange founded in 1887, demonstrating the important role Chicago played on the national scene. A New York native, Thompson came to Chicago in 1873, served as head buyer for G. H. Hammond for thirteen years, and retired from a nearly 50-year career in the cattle business in 1903.