This silver bowl was produced by the silversmith Irene Warner at the Kalo Shop in Park Ridge in 1913. It was purchased by the Chicago Historical Society in 1976. The makers mark on the bottom identifies where, when and by whom the piece was made. Because the artist's name is listed, this piece could have been an independent project of the artist, and not an official product of the Kalo Shop, though further research may be needed to confirm this.
The Kalo Shop was founded in 1900 by Clara Barck Welles as part of Chicago's flourishing Arts and Crafts Movement. Born in England, the Arts and Crafts Movement focused on reviving traditional arts and creating Objects that were both beautiful and functional, exemplified in the Kalo Shop's motto "Beautiful, Useful, and Endearing." The shop was not just a business, but a center of an artistic community- and its silversmiths were encouraged to work on their own projects. Welles, active in the suffrage movement, specifically hired and trained women metalsmiths like Irene Warner, encouraging their personal projects. At its height, the Kalo Shop employed 25 smiths, and when Welles retired, three employees kept it running until 1970.