STERLING/ HAND WROUGHT/ AT/ THE KALO SHOP/ U 18 BF
This bowl was made by the Kalo Shop, a store and arts community founded by Clara Barck Welles.
This bowl was made by the Kalo Shop, a store and arts community founded by Clara Barck Welles. Established in 1900, the Kalo Shop became Chicago's premier maker of handwrought silver. The company's motto, "Beautiful, Useful, and Endearing", guided Welles and her team of artisans (both male and female) as they created an expanding line of beautiful Objects for everyday use, including jewelry, hollow-ware, table services, special presentation pieces, and trophies. Named after the Greek word for beautiful, the Kalo Shop believed in fair employment practices and providing opportunities for women. At its height, the Kalo Shop employed as many as 25 silversmiths, whose talents Welles carefully nurtured. When Welles retire in 1940, around the time this particular bowl was made, she gave the shop to four employees who maintained its operation until 1970.