Member's card. Gold rectangular card with image of a key with a bunny head at the top right. Card number and member name embossed on front. Card number is 3933 1070 1. Name is Howard E. Hight. Club locations printed on verso.
This card belonged to a member of Chicago's Playboy Club and was a gift to CHS by the owner.
The Playboy Club was a membership-only entertainment venue established based on the success of the publication, Playboy, which debuted in 1953. The last club closed in 1988.
This key card belonged to Howard E. Hight, a charter member of the world's first Playboy Club which opened in Chicago on February 29, 1960. Dedicated to projecting the plush and romantic mood of the nation's most sophisticated publication, the club featured Playboy Bunnies in a setting of sophisticated sexual liberation that included a hip entertainment circuit. Chicago's club championed emerging African American performers, furthering the careers of Dick Gregory, Nipsey Russell, and Flip Wilson. Enormously popular, Chicago's club had 820,000 members at its height. Key cards like this one were used in place of cash and could open the doors to any of the Playboy Corporation's 23 clubs and resort hotels worldwide.