Carved and painted wood horse with glass eyes. Horse is black and white with sculpted gray mane and tail. Sculpted feathers with red and blue tips around neck. Sculpted golden-yellow pelt (with head, legs and tail) saddle; brown leather strap/reins attached at mouth with metal hardware. Horse in galloping pose with legs bent up towards body.
This carousel horse from Riverview Park was made by Leo Zoller in 1908. This horse was one of a five-row carousel that thrilled Chicagoans until the mid 1960s. The carousel cost $18,000 to complete. The carousel thrilled visitors until the park closed in 1967. That year, Mayor Robert Buehler of Galena, Illinois, purchased the carousel, but the town could not afford to rebuild the ride. The carousel sat in pieces in local basements until 1971, when Buehler sold it to Six Flags over Georgia, keeping one horse for himself. In 1995, the Riverview Carousel was added to the National Register of Historic Places, and in 2003, Buehler donated the last horse to the Chicago History Museum.
This horse helps capture the history and delight of rides at Riverview Park, an amusement park on the northwest side of Chicago that provided attractions and leisure activity for Chicagoans for over 60 years.