This flag of the City of Chicago was carried around the world in the Pan American Clipper "America"on the first round-the-world commercial passenger flight, leaving New York, June 17, 1947 and arriving at Chicago at 11:00 a.m. June 30. It was given to the Museum by Mayor Martin H. Kennelly.
The four stars represent (from Left to Right): the Fort Dearborn Massacre of 1812, the Great Chicago Fire of 1871, The World's Columbian Exposition of 1893, and the 1933 Century of Progress World's Fair. The three white stripes (from top to bottom) represent the North, West, and South sides of the city. The first blue stripes represents Lake Michigan and the north branch of the Chicago River, the second stripe the south branch of the Chicago River and the Great Canal.
This Object represents an iteration of Chicago's flag, which has undergone numerous changes. In 1915, Mayor William Hale Thompson appointed a special commission to oversee the creation of a new municipal flag. Chicago author and lecturer Wallace Rice was asked to devise a set of rules for selecting the flag. Hundreds of designs were submitted to an open competition, including Rice's own, which was ultimately adopted by the city council in 1917. The first design included all of the stripes but only two stars. New stars were added in 1933 and 1939 to complete the current version of the flag of the city of Chicago.