Black walnut headboard surmounted by ebonized and gilt crest. Heavy molding trim surrounds circular medallion inlaid with classical figures wreathed by gilded garland flanked by pair of gilt metal draped female monopedia.
This headboard was produced by the W.W. Strong furniture company in 1873 for the newest incarnation of the Palmer House hotel, which was being rebuilt in the wake of the Great Fire. Made of ebonized and gilded wood in a Renaissance style, it was one piece of an entire furniture set used in the hotel's bridal suite (the rest of which is now housed at the Chicago History Museum).
W.W. Strong was Chicago's premier furniture dealer and manufacturer in the 1870s and produced this headboard in 1873. In the furniture industry's heyday, W.W. Strong and other prominent Chicago furniture manufacturers employed thousands of workers. By 1895, Chicago was the nation's largest furniture producer. This headboard was one of the components of a sumptuous bridal suite at the fourth incarnation of the Palmer House Hotel which re-opened in 1875.