This light meter was created in 1910 by Watkins Meter Co, England and utilized at Essanay Studios.
This Object helps to document Chicago's place in the history of early motion picture production. In 1907 George K. Spoor, who had invented an early film projector, and Gilbert M. Anderson, a former vaudeville actor, founded Essanay Studios. The company had offices on Clark Street in downtown Chicago and a large studio at 1333-45 Argyle Street on the North Side. Using the most advanced equipment available, such as this light meter, Essanay Studios produced hundreds of motion pictures in Chicago for distribution across the nation. Chicago's film industry effectively ended in 1915 and Essanay Studios closed in 1918.