Wind-up toy robot made of plastic. Body and two large wheels are made of clear plastic with yellow and blue interior gears visible. Metal key in back. Red plastic arms, legs, and flat robot-head wearing top hat. Top hat has white lettering reading Mr. Machine. When wound, the toy rolls forward, legs and arms spinning, bell ringing, opening its mouth and squawking. The little wheel behind the toy can be set to make it run in a circle, curve, or a straight line.
This wind-up toy robot was designed by Marvin Glass & Associates and produced by Ideal Toy Company around 1960. It was donated to the Chicago History Museum by Marvin Glass & Associates.
Mr. Machine was one of the most popular toys designed by Marvin Glass & Associates, a Chicago-based company. Chicago was home to many of the nation's leading toy manufactures throughout the twentieth century. Marvin Glass & Associates was founded in 1941 and developed new toy ideas for manufacturers like Hasbro and Milton Bradley including classics such as Mr. Machine, Mousetrap, Operation, and Lite Brite. Marvin Glass passed away in 1979 and was posthumously inducted into the Toy Industry Hall of Fame in 1984. Ideal Toy Company was a New York based company and the original manufacturer of Mr. Machine, which was first produced in 1960.