This oil painting was awarded the Mr. and Mrs. Frank G. Logan Medal at the Art Institute of Chicago in 1919. The painting was presented to the Chicago Chapter of the American Institute of Architects by Mr. Frank G. Logan and the artist.
Three quarter length portrait of Louis H. Sullivan, facing left, standing by drafting board. He is in a dark suit with white shirt and red tie. His right hand rests on drafting board and his left hand on hip. Watch with chain visible in vest pocket.
Louis Sullivan is one of Chicago's leading architects. He arrived in Chicago from Boston in 1875 and joined Dankmar Adler's firm in 1879. Together, they designed some of the most significant modern structures in American history, including the Auditorium Building, the Garrick Theater, and the Chicago Stock Exchange. After the partnership dissolved in 1895, Sullivan designed the Schlesinger & Mayer Store, now the Carson Pirie Scott Building, widely considered to be his best work.