Banner made of red velvet, white taffeta and blue velvet arranged in three descending sections. Center white section has painted blue oval featuring a statue of policeman whose right arm is raised. Gold lettering reads "Veterans of the Haymarket Riot May 4th 1886." Red and blue sections are bordered with gilt fringe and tassels. Hung from a tin rod with six pointed stars on either end.
This banner was carried by police officers who were the Veterans of the Haymarket Riot in a parade in 1895, and displayed at various ceremonial gatherings. It was donated to the Chicago Historical Society in 1933 by Captain Frank Tyrell, the last surviving veteran of the Haymarket Riot.
The Veterans of the Haymarket Riot; the image is a reproduction of the statue on the monument for the Haymarket police officers at Randolph and Desplaines Streets.
This banner was created and used by the Veterans of the Haymarket Riot, an organization incorporated in 1903 and dedicated to honoring the police officers who had served during the Haymarket Riot. On May 4th, 1886 a labor protest in Haymarket Square became violent when a bomb was thrown at a group of police officers. During the resulting confrontation between protestors and police, eight officers were killed and sixty injured. While killed and wounded protestors were honored by labor movements, police deaths were commemorated by groups like this veterans association.