Ship prow. Stem timber of the schooner Mary A. Gregory (bowsprit). Applied carved wood decoration in scroll design. Painted green on white. Figurehead in the shape of an eagle's head is attached, 1935.98.
This relic was secured from John Harry Woltman, Captain of the Mary A. Gregory who stated that she was built on Goose Island fifty years ago (1875) and that she was the last of the Great Lakes schooners hailing from Chicago. She was purchased by Captain Woltman in 1894 and rebuilt at St. Joseph, Michigan in 1910. Captain Woltman paid to have her towed out in Lake Michigan and sunk behind the Marine Hospital in 1927 as was the customary way to release a retired ship. This story was provided to the Chicago History Museum by Mrs. Edna M. Koss, daughter of Captain Woltman.