This sculpture was designed by Robert Kostka, a student at Institute of Design, Illinois Institute of Technology.
This sculpture was designed by Robert Kostka while he was a student at Illinois Institute of Technology's Institute of Design. Also known as the New Bauhaus, the Institute of Design was established in 1937 by Laszlo Moholy-Nagy. After the Nazis closed the original Bauhaus school of design in 1933, the Chicago Association of Arts and Industries invited Moholy-Nagy to organize a similar school that trained students in the Bauhaus philosophy of "total design" emphasizing the equality of all creative design with art and architecture. Renamed the School of Design in 1939, and later the Institute of Design, the school encouraged its students to experiment with different materials, methods, and colors to create simple forms that could be inexpensively mass-produced. After finishing his studies at the New Bauhaus, Kostka became an artist, author, and educator who was known for his commitment to interdisciplinary partnerships in art.