This chair was designed in 1927 by Abel Faidy as part of a suite of furniture for the penthouse apartment of Ruth and Charles E. Singletary at 1244 Stone Street, Chicago. Born and trained in Europe, Faidy moved to Chicago in the early 1920s and worked for many private and corporate clients through the 1950s.
The ziggurat style of the chair back was intended to echo set-back skyscrapers popular during the 1920s and 1930s to allow more sunlight to the street below.
This chair is representative of the Art Deco, or Art Moderne design movement and its popularity in Chicago in the 1920s and 1930s. Art Deco architecture and decoration embraced machine made forms and bright, vivid colors, as demonstrated by this chairs. Abel Faidy, the chair's designer, had worked as a commercial interior designer but in 1926 turned to freelance design. Made in the shops of Marshall Field & Company, the Faidy suite of skyscraper-esque furniture is a marvel of modern style, practicality, and superb craftsmanship.