Advertising sign for Prager Beer - Atlas. Black background sign with a 1.5" border. The name "Prager" runs diagonally across the left side of the sign, painted in yellow with a red and gold border. At the upper right of the sign is a 13-inch orange background circle. Inside the circle is a group of gold leafed buildings through which a brown road runs. Above the circle, painted to conform to the curve, is the word "ATLA" in white with a black edge. Beginning below the "E" in Prager and ending below the circle is the word "BEER" in pale blue and gold edge. Signed in the lower center of the orange border"WEBER SIGNS."
This advertising sign was made for the Atlas Brewing Company, which closed its eight breweries on Sept. 28, 1962.
This advertising sign belonged one of Atlas Brewing Company's eight breweries. Atlas was established in April, 1891 by Charles J. Vopicka, Otto Kubin, and John Kralovec. They took over the site of what had been the Bohemian Brewing Company at 21st Street and Blue Island. By 1900, Atlas was producingt 125,000 barrels of Genuine Lager and Magnet beers. Despite a brewing hiatus during Prohibition and shortly afterward, the eight breweries continued to operate until Atlas Brewing Company closed its doors on September 28, 1962.