This bowl was made by the Kalo Shop founded by Clara Barck Welles in 1900.
This copper and silver bowl was made by the Kalo Shop. Established by Clara Barck Welles in 1900, the Kalo Shop became Chicago's premier maker of hand wrought silver. The company's motto - Beautiful, Useful, and Endearing - guided Welles and her team of artisans (both male and female) as they created an expanding line of beautiful objects for everyday use, including jewelry, hollow-ware, table services, special presentation pieces, and trophies. Named after the Greek word for beautiful, the Kalo Shop believed in fair employment practices and providing opportunities for women. At its height, the Kalo Shop employed as many as 25 silversmiths, whose talents Welles carefully nurtured. When Welles retired, she gave the shop to four employees who maintained its operation until 1970.